× New To Moodle

Hints and Tips for Setting Up Online Learning

More
5 months 1 day ago - 5 months 1 day ago #1977 by DigitalTeacher
Replied by DigitalTeacher on topic Hints and Tips for Setting Up Online Learning
How to write better multiple choice quizzes: An evidence-informed approach
(From Teaching with Moodle)

Hi Moodlers,

A recent paper examined the effects of multiple choice quizzes (MCQs) on students' learning* and best practices for optimising learning from MCQs (Butler, 2018). Simply put, Moodle's quiz module can be leveraged to produce substantial learning gains, especially with frequent low/no-stakes quizzes to review previously studied material. I've summarised and elaborated on the paper's findings as follows:

1- Don’t use complex (multi-stage) MCQs. Too complex, too easy to get it wrong, less reliable than simple, don’t add anything to learning/test validity.

2- Target specific (and hopefully authentic) cognitive processes with MCQs, e.g. individual definitions (item specific) and compare & contrast (relational). What decisions/distinctions do learners have to make in practice?

3- Don’t use “None of the above” or “All of the above” (see #1 = complex MCQs).

4- Only 3 options = 1 correct + 2 high quality (plausible) distractors. More aren’t necessary and can have negative effects.

5- MCQs should be challenging to learners but not too difficult (or too easy), i.e. should test ILOs at the level taught.

6- Extra: Provide appropriate feedback on wrong answers. Feedback can be:
corrective (i.e. give the correct answer),
directive (i.e. tell the learner how to get to the correct answer; the process),
or epistemological (i.e. use further questions to elicit the learners’ relevant knowledge about the
question item),
depending on learners’ proficiency/knowledge in the subject matter.
*Also see the testing effect (e.g. Roediger & Karpicke, 2006), also known as retrieval practice (e.g. Agarwal, Roediger, McDaniel, & McDermott, 2018)
Last edit: 5 months 1 day ago by DigitalTeacher.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 3 months ago #1931 by DigitalTeacher
Replied by DigitalTeacher on topic Hints and Tips for Setting Up Online Learning

E-Learning Update

Ten ways to improve online learning for students

By Cathy Stone

http://www.aare.edu.au/blog/?p=2618

Attachments:

More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #1234 by DigitalTeacher
RSS feeds can be used to get mail from a Moodle Activity

https://docs.moodle.org/29/en/Using_RSS_feeds
Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by DigitalTeacher.

More
4 years 2 months ago #1048 by DigitalTeacher

More
4 years 4 months ago - 1 year 3 months ago #1032 by DigitalTeacher

Sure you need a bit of a plan before starting to create a Moodle Course/Unit. While you are developing you media, images etc

Check out Hints and Tips for basic page design for Elearning

Attachments:
Last edit: 1 year 3 months ago by DigitalTeacher.

• DigitalTeacher
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 1 month ago - 1 year 3 months ago #39 by DigitalTeacher
Being both a Moodle content developer and a classroom teacher can work if your school/education system embedded blended or some form of online learning and gets rid of outdated time consuming tasks that teachers find themselves doing. Just today I had an email from a DT member who's school has done just that.
Steve Rogerson wrote:
we currently use Moodle as an online assessment tool as well and so we no longer write summative reports at the end of a Semester but give immediate feedback to students through Moodle.
Taking the focus and pressure off old fashioned report writing and assessing through Moodle is one way to change.
What do you think?
Steve's example

Attachments:
Last edit: 1 year 3 months ago by DigitalTeacher.

Time to create page: 0.452 seconds

2017 T.E.C. 

thumb Tasmania-white map-245

Designability Logo

2018-01-02 7-37-55-FLAT-REPORT

digital teacher add banner-3

Register and Login

to

get the latest updates 

RSS your Favourite Topics